Thursday, April 23, 2009

Is there anything good on the telly?

Chances are if you are in my house, then the answer is no.

Those who know me might be clued into the fact that I like TV. It's not that I have-to, have-to watch it, but I'm one of those people that really appreciate the inventor of the DVR. On a Monday, you can record Gossip Girl AND J&K+8 AND How I Met Your Mother AND The Hills AND not get fussed at by your husband that you are wasting your life away watching crap TV (he does love HIMYM). You can simply wait until he's preoccupied with something else (the 360, computer, cleaning) and just catch up on everything you've recorded in the past week really fast!


Let's just say that this year in the almost Outback is going to make me appreciate those American rainy Saturdays where all you have to do is stay in the house.


We have 5 TV channels. Okay, really we have about 15 actual channels. But it's really just a ploy to make you think that you have more channels because REALLY you only get 5 broadcasts and they just decide to repeat them on some of the stations. It's all very strange really and I can't quite figure it out.


Luckily, I have already figured out the best times TO turn on the tube. See below.




Obviously, I turn it on at 5:30 in the morning once I get back from dropping Josh off and log on to check into work. Otherwise I would be crawling back into bed. Because getting up at 4:45 every morning? Seriously overrated.

The Today show listed is just like the Today show that we have back in the States. Almost. I actually like it even more than the American one. They do report on real news, but they also seem to play more practical jokes on each other. Also, at the end of every hour they have their "Hollywood Gossip Guy" come on with the latest juice. AND like every hour and a half they do a countdown of the 'most clicked' on the internet - some sort of rating of what everyone is watching on YouTube. And while I do want to hear the real news, it's also just plain funny to see them scare the co-host with a fake crocodile.

And then naturally, if I'm around, I might switch it on at noon. Not so much to watch, but more to just listen. It gets awfully quiet in this house and it's nice to hear American voices every so often.

What I don't get is what you see listed at 2:30 and 11:00 and what was actually playing at 5:00 when I took this picture - High Definition which actually stands for High Definition Demonstration. For an hour 4 to 5 times a day, all that plays on several stations is a video of pleasant looking mountains and rivers and people bicycling and flowers all dubbed over with music. It is the weirdest thing. And the kicker is that we are pulling straight cable from the wall so we're not even watching in high-def. Everything looks blurry and fuzzy. And it's on 8 channels! So everytime you flip, you keep getting the same thing over and over again!

Thank goodness for the internet and DVDs.

No comments:

Post a Comment