Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Fraser Island - Post 4

So on that Friday on Fraser Island (which I know was over 2 weeks ago), after Eli Creek, we drove up the beach just a little bit more to see the Maheno Shipwreck.


The Maheno was a luxury liner until it was beached on Fraser Island from a cyclone in 1935. A friend of mine (Australian) said that she'd been to see it about 20 years ago and the ship was intact. Now the side to the sea is all rusted away and caved in.


Most of this end is covered by sand, but you can kind of get an idea of how big it was. Josh is standing out where the stern (? bow?) was poking out.

After Maheno, I decided to take over the driving for the first time. I didn't quite realize how big the car really was.

After I drove down the hard beach for a little while, Josh told me to go ahead and give it a try to get up on the inner trails. The problem was that I chose this spot.

And promptly got stuck.

Josh hopped out and started pushing while I went in reverse. It took him about 4 tries before we got unstuck and a little embarrassment from the tour bus that went by and up the trail over an entrance over to the left of this picture.

Josh joked that the tour guy was saying 'And that, mates, is why you want to go on a guided tour and not rent your own 4WD'.

Here was all the sand on our wheel after we got unstuck.

And here's the tire flap from where it was covered. I'm really impressed that we were able to get it out.

After that, I lost my desire to drive and made Josh take over. On the way back, we were going through this forest of HUGE trees. I made Josh pull over and take my picture of me hugging it.

215 centimeters (7.5 feet) is the diameter of the tree right above where my head is (or maybe a little higher). And remember, this is an all sand island. I'm not really sure how the trees can take root so well. It's really amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment