Thursday, July 9, 2009

Macca's

So I'm sitting at home this morning doing my work and talking to my 2 sisters over Skype and all of the power suddenly went out. Everything. Which meant that our wireless was out and that my computer was going to have to run off stored power for however long it needed to. Luckily, we have our back-up wireless broadband and I was able to hop on and let Josh know that we had no power. His reply was to forward an email from Monday informing all tenants of a planned outage from 9 to 3 because of some maintenance.

So I continued to work for a few hours off of a dim screen and the mobile broadband. And then I found out that apparently McDonald's was suppose to have free wireless. I figured that I could ride my bike up there (Josh had the car today) and charge my computer and sit for a little while.

Now, you might think that I'm such a westerner for going to McDonald's, but seriously - Aussies love their Maccas (fyi - I just found out from a sign today that they call it Maccas. They are so funny) because every one that we have been in has been CRAZY. And the Dalby location didn't disappoint. There was barely a seat empty in the place. I found one outside, but was finally driven inside because of the little bitty lizards running all over the bricks.

Also, in every McDonald's, there is something called a McCafe. It's like a little Starbucks in each store. Australians, much like Europeans, love their coffee. And they love taking tea breaks.

So I sat at the Macca's for a few hours reading my book. The working there didn't go so well since it was impossible to find a plug-in and I didn't see any signs for wireless internet, but I managed to pass the time pretty well.

Power came back on at 2:35 - about 5 hours after it went out.

2 comments:

  1. Power going out was God's punishment for not including your mother in that Skype - that's what Daddy sez.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh. You weren't online!

    And I was only talking to Melissa and then I asked her if she seen that Beth was on and she didn't have her as a contact and then SHE called her.

    They've got a webcam now too, but I haven't caught them online.

    ReplyDelete