Saturday, June 20, 2009

1st day of winter

As Google so nicely told me on their Australian Google homepage, it's the 1st day of winter down under. The 'winter' image above makes me laugh because I would be surprised if lifelong residents of Dalby have ever seen snow in this town.



To chronicle the first day of a season here in our Australian hometown, I thought that I would take pictures throughout the day of outside, report the temp and let you know anything interesting going on.



The first picture is from 5:56 am this morning right after Josh left for work and right before I headed back to bed. Forecast - dark. This picture was taken from our front door and I had the flash turned on, thus you can see our mailbox and some of the lights in the houses across the street of people getting up and ready. Temperature at the time was 53.2 degrees (I'll report in Farenheit since most people that I know don't convert Celsius all that often) and it felt 51.6. Since Josh has had his jacket stolen, he doesn't like temperatures in the morning to be below 60 since it makes for a cold job outside if someone needs him.

Two pictures from 8:45 this morning. I had gotten up and eaten breakfast and was surfing the internet trying to get myself motivated to get my hands dirty and get my bike together. It was around 56.1 degrees outside. The first picture was from our side sliding glass door. Most of the recent mornings in Dalby have started off real cloudy like this making you think that it's going to rain all day and would be perfect for a nap, only to have the clouds burn off by lunchtime.


And ignoring all the fences and clothesline and such, check out that tree. I LOVE that tree when the wind is blowing real hard.



Same time, but from the front door. The clouds are starting to clear off over to the west just like they always do.





1:15 pm and the temperature has risen to 68.6 degrees. I'm telling you - it's awesome in the afternoon! I took this picture from the back porch type area - where Josh is suppose to bang off his boots before entering this house. The sky is that wonderful summer-blue, but there are still clouds hanging around. Usually we don't have clouds for this long. I betcha that we're have some rain in our future.


Also, when I stepped outside to take the picture, it smelled like cow manure. Sometimes it does that. Usually it occurs in the early mornings, but I have smelled it throughout the day before. There is a stockyard on the other side of town and since the town in only about 3 miles in width, I guess that if the wind blows a certain way then you're going to get a nice scent. Also, if there are an excessive amount of road trains delivering cattle, then you can smell it too.



And then Josh got home and I forgot to take our camera out with us on the golf course (since there are so many other things that i have to remember - jacket, bug spray, water....), but it remained pretty much the same from 1:00 to 5:00. Cloudy with some patches of blue. Temperatures hanging right around 70 degrees.
We managed to make it through 7.5 of 9 holes before it got so dark that we couldn't see where we were hitting. As soon as we made it back to the car and loaded all of our stuff up, rain started dropping on us.
It's 5:30 Monday morning now and I just dropped Josh off at the park and it started raining as I drove back home. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a nice grey day.

2 comments:

  1. I am catching up, but I am concerned about all this stealing going on. Somebody's bike, Josh's jacket...you leaving the door unlocked. How many people are in that town? Miss you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa - I blame the guys for being stupid for losing their stuff. Josh knew better than to leave his jacket on the site for the 4 days that he was gone. Somebody was bound to get cold! :)

    And seriously, the town is small enough that you would think that you would notice someone riding your stolen bike.

    Miss you too!!!

    ReplyDelete