Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Pizza (and Beer)

Tonight we had some guys from Atlanta over to eat pizza with us and hang out. Tuesday nights are cheap pizza night at Eagle Boys. It's really good pizza AND on the flyer that I got in the mail the first week that we got here, it advertised that their "Australian" pizza is 14% larger than "American" pizza. This pizza has to impress.

Also, since the 2 guys that came over drink beer, I was put in charge of going to buy it. I hadn't remembered seeing any alcohol being sold in grocery stores or in the corner store, so I headed to the drive-thru liquor store. I still had to get out of my car, but you really just drive in, tell the guy what you want, pay and drive out.

Josh had done all the research on authentic Australian beer so he told me to get Victoria Bitter and XXXX.

The Roo sipped back a bottle of each.

Victoria Bitter is the most sold beer in Australia. Matt tried one and said that it tasted like a Colt 45. My guess is that the other 5 stubbies are going to stay in our fridge for the next year.

When I asked for XXXX, the guy wanted to know if I wanted XXXX Gold or XXXX Heavy. I elected for Gold because drinking something labeled Heavy is just not an option when you can drink something with Gold in the title.

XXXX is a Brisbane brewer and it's a very popular beer here in the state of Queensland (and beginning to be across all of Australia). I had 2 sips of it from a glass and I concurred with Matt that it basically tasted like Bud Lite. I was hoping for a nice appley crisp taste - I was highly disapponted. I switched to Diet Coke after the 2 sips. Much better.

The pizza was delicious and it was nice having people over --- even if I was the only girl.

2 comments:

  1. I wish we could come over! We missed you earlier this month when the Kentucky Derby was run :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I would have made you drink that 'Colt 45'ish beer. :)

    There are horse races here (in Dalby!) like once a month. These people are out of control!

    ReplyDelete