Wednesday, May 20, 2009

International Mail Call

I got a package in the mail yesterday. I actually got the notice in the mail on Tuesday and went and picked it up on Wednesday. It was from my mama - or my mummy as the post office woman said. I was thankful that they (because I'm sure my dad put some sentiment in it too) spent that much to send me something.


And when I opened it up, it was full of books.


No candy, no note (which is okay because I talk to my mom almost every day over skype), nothing that Josh would be interested in - just 11 books. I think that I've read 2 of them already, but as a notorious book re-reader, I'm okay with that.

It was a great package because in the month or so that we've been here, I've made my way through 10 books.

(There's only 8 showing, but 2 of those are double books in one binding.)

Granted they weren't the hardest books to get through. And they weren't all good (I joined GoodReads to keep a track of what I read while over here and I also ranked them. I gave 5 of these 10 2-stars out of 5 and another one 1-star.). But 10 books in 4.5 weeks is a lot of books for me. Especially combined with the 45ish hour workweeks, the weekends Josh is off and the other household things that have fallen my way (breakfast, lunch, dinner, laundry, grocery shopping). I don't know where the extra time has come from (no more commutes, lack of telly stimulation), but I love it.

My mom has indicated that she doesn't think that she can do this every month so I better slow my roll.

8 comments:

  1. i don't usually get notes either...must be a twin thing? :)
    maybe you should get a kindle...but then you wouldn't get packages with no candy or notes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Em - I think that she assumed that the books would show the love. Must be a Barlow thing.

    Have you tried a kindle? Or know anyone who has? I've gone back and forth on if I want one or not, but I read a review that it just doesn't replace that feeling of having paper in your hands and just don't know if I want to spend that much money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca - I thought you knew that Pat has one

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like mine. I have seen the new one and it is better (costs more too)
    Jack needs one and we might have one of the newest when it comes out this summer (but it costs even more)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I borrowed Mom's Kindle once. It is different than actually holding a book and reading it, but I thought it worked really well. I liked it.
    The amount for postage to send you a box of books every month would be enough for a kindle before the year is over...And then you wouldn't have to ship all of those same books back home. Just a thought...
    Overall, are you having a good time over there? At least it's an adventure!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know Aunt Pat had one. Hmm...now to talk Josh into it.

    And Em - YES! I love it. It's so beautiful out here. And the "small-town" stuff really isn't bad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In a sunburned country ... Bill Bryson is one of our Favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jamie - My mom gave me that book for my birthday in March. It was awesome! I'm glad that I read it once I got over here because so much in it is SO true!

    ReplyDelete