Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Air Shipment

I have plenty to write about, but they require that I actually get out of the house to take pictures. Which means that I don't take a 2 hour nap in the afternoon in order to make up for the 5 hours of sleep that I got last night. I'm aiming for getting out for some fresh air tomorrow.

But we did receive our air shipment Tuesday morning. Here is what it looked like prior to leaving Smyrna in our basement "apartment" (where I'll be staying if/when I make a trip home):

And here's what it looks like here in one of our spare rooms in Australia:

I've managed to make it into 2 of the 13 boxes (they are pretty well labeled). The first box was opened because I wanted to see how disorganized the boxes had gotten when they were searched in customs. The second box was opened because it had most of the DVDs, the extra DVD player and Josh's mini-mac in it.

In retrospect, we didn't pack very smartly (even though we had 500 lbs air and 5000 lbs sea for our taking). I don't need nearly all the clothes that are packed in those boxes since my outfit of choice lately has either been pajama pants/T-shirt/sweat shirt, workout clothes or jeans/t-shirt. And Josh basically only needs the clothes that we brought in the suitcases - he wears an uniform for 11 out of 14 days! And don't even get me started on the shoes! Oh, how horribly disillusioned I was in thinking that I would need all those heels. I am pretty happy that we packed books (comic books for Josh, novels for me) and brought all of our DVDs. We have a region free DVD provided by CH2M (and the aforementioned extra player that we brought) so we should have plenty to watch over the next year. And I'm glad that somewhere in there, there are extra linens and towels.

We got an email about a week ago when the shipping was finishing up in customs indicating that 2 of our shoes were not fit to make it through customs and that they either had to be treated or destroyed. It was $110 for both choices - the only difference being that if we opted for treated, then we'll have to go to Brisbane to pick them up. Josh choose treatment, but I think that I'm going to get some glares if they are both pairs of heels that could have easily stayed in the States. Maybe when I'm unpacking, I'll try to figure out which ones they are to try to mediate the situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment