Tuesday, April 28, 2009

where the winds come sweeping down the plains

Josh and I are from the same small town. And the town that he was born in is even smaller than the town that we grew up in. So we really had no lofty city folk attitude on moving to Dalby, because.....hello, we're home-grown small town people.

But when you can run just 1/4 of mile from your home and this is all you see, you start to realize that you aren't in Georgia anymore.

My mom had asked what the countryside looked like and as of right now, I only have pictures of what it looks like in Dalby immediate (hopefully this weekend I'll get some from the bush and from Toowoomba area). I compared it to the US midwest because it's really, really flat and there are a lot of fields. But the trees kind of throw that off, right?

When I went running, there was this pretty heather growing all on one side of a particular road. It was really pretty, but I was careful to run directly in the middle of the road for fear of a not meeting a creature slithering out of all that grass.

And there are sporadic cactuses (cacti?) in fields. I'm used to the typical cactus in the desert so to see one in a field that I'm sure is used to keep horses, it just seems odd.

But mostly in Dalby, there are fields.

Lots and lots of fields.

And apparently, my fear of meeting creatures unknown whilst out running is not unfounded since I came across this about 2 streets over from my house. Obviously this one is dead, but where there's 1, there's a million.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, that is a cactus. There are probably lots of cacti in that field.

    Hope that clears things up. :)

    ReplyDelete