Monday, April 20, 2009

#3 Charthom Place

That's our new address for the next year - #3 Charthom Place, Dalby, QLD 4405. It's a brand-new, 4-bedroom, 2-bath house. But don't be impressed, it's not quite what you would find back in the States. Here it is:

It's yellow so Beth would like it.


I think that it kind of looks like a double-wide...thus Josh likes it.


Most of the houses around here are built on stilts because when it rains in Queensland, it pours (though the state has been in a drought for over 20 years). And when it pours, it floods. And when it floods, it moves houses on slabs around so everything gets messed up. So now, they build them on adjustable stilts so if the flood does move the house around a little bit, they can just adjust the stilt up or down. Apparently, the fact that it is built up also helps keep the vermin out (for which I am immensely grateful).

Also, that sky in the pictures above....not doctored at all. Gorgeous, right?

Here's from our front door:


Living room complete with loveseat, chair, TV and my sweet husband who feels well enough to put together the shelving system we bought for the bathroom. Also, the kitchen table in the background with all of my stuff on it. See, I actually AM working over here.



And here's the kitchen as taken from the kitchen table. Standard.

Here's the first of our air conditioners (up high). We have 2. This one is broken since the left indicator light is blinking which means that we haven't turned it on for fear of creating a fire in the house. It has been hot the past 2 days.



This is part of our backyard as taken from the french doors that you could see from the front door picture (3 up). There is a nice covered deck which is great because otherwise I don't think that we could enjoy the outdoors. Have I mentioned how hot it is?



Here's the other part of our fenced in yard. It runs along the back of our house. I think that it would be perfect for a dog!

Back inside, here is a boring picture. It's taken looking down the hallway from the kitchen/living room. See, you can just see a piece of the brown loveseat sticking out to the left. Anyway, there are 3 doors on the right (2 guest bedrooms and a bath) and 2 doors on the right (a guest bedroom and the master bedroom).


Another boring picture. This is the guest bedroom on the left. The bed is not made up because Josh wouldn't let me go in there since the room was so hot. The blinds are shut because that's the front of the house and we face west so it makes the house...hot. I'll make up the bed in the morning when the house cools down into the teens (see, I'm getting this celsius thing). Anyway, the other 2 guest bedrooms look just like this except they have no furniture in them.


This is the guest bathroom. Check out that bathtub. Nice, right? I will be testing that out sooner rather than later. There is also a sink opposite the tub. The toilet is separate. Apparently, across the way, there are 4 guys sharing the same house layout. I don't know how they are doing it.


Here's our laundry room. We have a washer and a dryer and a sink.

We however, do not have vent out on the dryer so if I run something really wet in the dryer, it turns that little bitty room into a steam room. Thus, I had to use this today -


That, my friends, is a clothesline. And apparently widely used around here (you might have noticed the one out yonder in the picture from our deck). That little spot of land gets tons of sun so my guess is that I might be going green and hanging more things out than I dry. I just don't think that I can bring myself to hang our delicates out for all the neighbors to see.

Back inside next to the laundry room (remember, the last door on the left from the kitchen) is the master bedroom. If you were confused about what bedroom is the master (well, other than the fact that it has an ensuite), you could tell from the evidence of the 2nd air conditioning unit in here

What you can't see in this picture is the pail and towel underneath the air conditioner catching the water dripping from it because you guessed it - this one is broken too. Apparently, we are not suppose to run this one either due to the indoor water dripping, but I would back on a plane to the states if we weren't running it. Someone was suppose to come out today to look at it. Hopefully they will make it tomorrow.


Here is our closet. LOVE.


There are 3 piles of dirty clothes on the floor only because there is a slight issue with the washer. I wouldn't say it's broken, but I can only wash with hot water right now. Otherwise, the laundry room floor gets flooded. Again, someone is suppose to be out today.


For the last picture from inside the house, here is our master bath. It's not spectacular, but it does have pretty awesome heating lamps. Because as much as I complain about how hot it gets, it is actually pretty chilly walking on tile at 5:30 in the morning.

Okay, last 2 pictures. Here is the garage. It's nice and wide especially since we only have 1 car. That door in the garage up to the left leads out to where the clothes line is and the door into the laundry room and back of the house.



Our car is a Holden. I have never heard of it before, but I kind of think that the emblem is cool. It drives well. As well as it can for having a steering wheel on the wrong side of the car.

3 comments:

  1. I love the pics! I'm sorry everything is broken, but it doesn't seem so bad. It is just you and Josh, so you don't need a 3 story townhouse...I think it is cute and I hope it doesn't get carried away in a flood! Eeek!

    I wonder what the rules are for bringing dogs back to the states. I'm sure its not easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is that big round thing in the front yard? Oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haley - I think it's great too. Honestly, it's really too big for us! I don't think that I can get a dog (as much as I want to) - I couldn't put it through that 14 hour flight. :(

    Lisa - It's a rainwater tank primarily used at this point to take care of our log, but I think that it can also take care of more important things if we run out. :)

    ReplyDelete