Friday, July 31, 2009

Which way does the water flow?



My future brother-in-law, Matt, asked and so I obliged. My best guess as to why he asked is because he wanted to know how the water drained. Well, I've done some research (both hands-on and via Google). There's a theory that the Coriolis effect means that the water drains counter-clockwise in the northern hemisphere and clockwise in the southern hemisphere. But apparently this is just a myth - the Coriolis effect doesn't have an effect on that small of bodies of water.

Also, here in Australia, the toilets flush with such force that the water just goes straight down.

Note the "big flush" and "little flush" buttons on top of the toilet. It's on all of them. They are serious about saving water - did I mention the drought that Australia is in?

Also, when you need to find the nearest lavatory, then you need to ask 'Where is the toilet?' and not 'Where is the restroom?'.

I did also take a video of the bathtub draining and you can see (after I disturb it a little bit) that the water does indeed drain clockwise.



If you want to take this as scientific evidence of the Coriolis effect in action, then feel free to. I'm going to trust the info I got on the internet though.

No comments:

Post a Comment