Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Wednesday 22.07.09 - Random Notes

Did I mention that I started taking golf lessons? Every Wednesday, I drive to Toowoomba for an hour lesson at 10:00 am. It takes about an hour to get there and an hour to get back, but when you think about it, if we were still in Atlanta a 2 hour commute to get somewhere and back would actually be considered pretty good.

Anyway, the golf lesson is just a ladies' beginner class. There were suppose to 5 of us in it, but it's only me and 2 other (older) ladies. It's pretty fun. My favorite part is that the instructor has decided to call me 'Becs' even when I distinctly introduced myself as 'Rebecca'. It's 'Nice job, Becs' or 'Becs, how you going?'. I told Josh about it and he said that it seems to be an Australian thing to add an 's' or 'y' to the end of people's names. Some of the guys out at the power station have the habit of calling him 'Joshie'. I don't think that he's told them that only his relatives are allowed to call him that.

In Dalby, it's been just plain hot the past couple of afternoons. Yesterday, I went for a run at 3:00 and it felt like summer (okay, maybe late spring). Today it was scheduled to get up to 24*C. On nice days like this, I open the sliding door next to the kitchen so that I can get a nice breeze and kind of pretend that I'm working outside. And with the door open today, I could hear my favorite part of Wednesday coming down the street.


Every single Wednesday, the Home Ice Cream truck comes clanging through the neighborhoods. I first heard it about 2:00, but it must have been a long way off because he didn't make it into our cul-de-sac until 3:15. The Dalby ice cream truck isn't like your normal American ice cream truck. In America, they normally play a nice melodious song and let the little kids run up to buy their favorite treat. Here, it's just a big bell clanging (like the one on the schoolhouse in 'Little House on the Prairie') and they don't sell single treats. They sell BOXES of ice cream.

My best guess is that it's for the housewife who realizes that she doesn't have any ice cream treats in the ice box and doesn't want to run up to the nearest Coles/Woolworths to buy some. I haven't bought any from him yet (as evident by my picture taking covertly from behind our water tank), but I know that there's going to come a day when I'm running down the street with my $5 note. My bet is that it's going to be mid-December.

1 comment:

  1. In case you are running out of things to write about, Matt really wants to know which direction the toilet water flows when you flush; a video would be preferable. He also wants to know what they call crawfish down there.

    ReplyDelete