Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Grocery Stores

Here's the deal - almost everything around here is closed on Sunday (except for the little corner stores). So that means that instead of doing our weekly shopping on Sunday evening (like we use to in Atlanta), I usually go by myself on Monday. And it's worked out pretty well. The first few weeks, I was going to Woolworths which is in the Dalby ShoppingWorld. I really don't like it because it's small and I could never seem to find anything.

So I started going to Cole's which is a stand-alone shop and seems much more to me to be more of a typical grocery store. Okay - they do have an section where they sell pajamas which is odd, but still they have nice wide aisles and tons of food. But that doesn't mean that it makes it any easier to find things that I want.

I have learned that I can never go in looking for specific items or I'll be highly disappointed. Generic things are fine. Potatoes? Check. Meat? Check, check, check. Graham crackers to make that homemade crust? Uh, think again. [though Arnott's Scotch Finger biscuits might work (also they are all called biscuits here - not cookies)]. Grape Jelly? None at all.

But I was just sure that they had to have fresh eggs here. And so I looked and looked and check out where I found them.

Fresh eggs - right down on that aisle with the Confectionary and Chewing Gum.

3 comments:

  1. They're not refridgerated? Odd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right?

    I did a google search on 'do eggs have to be refrigerated?' and it's something about how the eggs are cleaned and the risk of bacteria that the US worries about.

    But we still store our eggs in the fridge once they get home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still have two bottles of grape jelly for you! It may be our mission this afternoon to get them in the mail to you :)

    ReplyDelete