Monday, May 4, 2009

04.05.2009

My camera battery has died without me realizing it and so I can't pull any pictures off until I get it recharged. I'll do it first thing in the morning.

So you just get an update of the weekend without any pictures. Saturday, we drove to Toowoomba to see the X:Men: Origins movie. I had found where there was a cinema in this grand central shopping center which turned out to be kind of like a mall, but there was a grocery store and Target at one end. So you would be walking through the mall, but some people would be trying to get through with shopping carts full of groceries. It was very odd. Also, it was the first place that we have really been crowded in an Australia. I've done a little bit of research and I'm about 3/4 of the way through 'In a Sunburned Country', but there are about 20 million people in all of Australia. The land area of Australia is approximately 2.9 million square miles which is almost as large as the US (whose land area is 3.5 million square miles). Apparently that means that the population density of Australia is 6.4 people/sq mile....compared to the US's population density of 84 people/sq mile. So we had heard that there is plenty of space for everyone. However, about 2000 people decided to increase the population density of Toowoomba Saturday afternoon.

The movie was good (Josh could go into more detail on how they took extreme liberties with Deadpool's character in the 2nd half, but I enjoyed the movied regardless) and we walked around some and looked at the stores before heading back to Dalby for the night.

Sunday we woke up and goofed around a bit and then I made Josh go on a walk with me to town and back. He always agrees to it and almost seems excited about it (I think that it has something to do with that dumb bat tree), but once we get to Brumby's, get our bread and are on our way back, he starts complaining about how far it is and how long it has taken us (it's a little over a 3.1 mile walk round-trip). Luckily, we both made it back in one piece and we spent the rest of the day just chilling in the house. I had thought that maybe we would go to the Bunya Mountains yesterday, but we decided to save that for another "in-Dalby weekend".

Today I had to work so that's pretty much all I did all day. We did manage to talk to several of our family and friends this morning so that was pretty cool. It was Labour Day and so Josh was off and he spent the entire day just relaxing (though he did pull out the vacumn late in the afternoon). Just as a note on how public holidays are handled around here - I got up at 6:45 and turned on the hot water and the space heater and logged onto work. Around 7:15, I notice a few cars pulling up into the driveway across the street. And the guys had beer cans in their hands! They spent most of the day in the garage just sitting around listening/watching football(?). I'm not sure how long they made it though after starting that early in the morning.

Pictures of the drive to/from Toowoomba tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you guys are adjusting to Australia - this trip is quite an interesting adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, how far is Toowoomba again? I'm sure you've said it before, but I forget. Josh needs to toughen up. A mile and a half walk each way is nothing!

    ReplyDelete