Sunday, April 26, 2009

Weekend in Review - 25.04 and 26.04 2009

Josh had Saturday off from work because of ANZAC day which is a national public holiday. Basically it is the same as Memorial Day back in the states (was created to honor the Australia and New Zealand Army Corps members who fought in WWI), but seems to be held in a much-higher standard here. Everyone town has a dawn ceremony and a parade - when I watched the news, there were 10,000 people who had camped out at the Brisbane war memorial for the dawn service.

Here is Dalby's war memorial and park. I took this picture on Tuesday. When we made it down to the city, this area was crowded with people. We couldn't really understand what was being said over the microphone (take a harsh accent and magnify it) so we didn't hang around long. It seemed that most everyone was coming and going as wanted.



So basically we used the holiday to catch up on our sleep. We slept in that morning, talked to both sets of parents and then headed out on a walk. I wanted to show Josh the walking path along the creek and let him see what I had been doing for the past week. He enjoyed the walk, but was a little over it by the end (we were out about 1.5 hours). Anyway, it was cool to see a lot of the nature that we wouldn't get to see otherwise.

As an example, I give you exhibit A.

As we were walking along the creek, we heard really cool bird sounds that we have never heard before (there's one bird here that sounds like windchimes), but we also kept hearing this sound like an animal dying up in ahead. And then we came upon this:

At first, I was like 'What are those weird things hanging from the trees?' Josh was almost immediately sure that they were bats. I told him that I have never heard of bats hanging out in the public out in the sun like that.
But sure enough, they were bats. Hundreds and hundreds of bats.

I'm not quite sure what the deal is. There were seriously about 200 hundred of them hanging over these 3 trees. And it wasn't just like those little, gray bats back home in Georgia that fly over your pool as the sun is going down in the summer. These are big black bats that more than likely turn into vampires when the moon is just right.

I found it seriously creepy and wanted to keep walking. Josh could have sat there for hours watching them. He kept wanting them to fly towards us so that he could get an idea of how big they were. I told him that was crazy talk.

Eventually, I got him to keep walking and we made it into town (and to the memorial). On our way out, we stopped at Brumby's, the local bakery, and got a delicious Apple Danish type creation and a wildberry teacake. We will definitely be making more stops at Brumby's soon.

Once we got home, we both feel asleep (maybe the jet lag is catching up). We hung around the house most of the afternoon - my major accomplishment was getting the ADSL set up, so now we can both be on a computer right next to each other. Around 4:30, we went for a drive out to the power station so that I could know where it was and so that Josh could show me what the bush looks like. That's seriously what they call going out to the power station - going out to the bush. It was really beautiful, but unfortunately, my camera battery died and needed to be recharged so I haven't taken any pictures yet. No worries - there'll be plenty of time to get some.

Also, some might be wondering about the official ROO count. As it stands:
Josh - 3
Rebecca - 0
Dead on the side of the road - 2

I was highly disappointed that we drove 30 minutes out and 30 minutes back and didn't even see a single jump mark. However, I remain optimistic that if it's that's easy to hit a kangaroo, then eventually I will see one.

Today (Sunday), Josh had to go back to work so it was another 4:00(ish) wakeup. Since I didn't have to work, I went back to bed (after talking to Beth/Scott), did laundry and dishes, played on the computer, went for a run, took a bath and read my book until time to pick up Josh (don't be jealous of how completely awesome my Sunday was). On weekends that he has to work, Josh gets off at 2:30, so I got to pick him up at 3 from the park so it's not going to be so hard on me, but I think that a 4:10 wake-up is a 4:10 wake-up and Josh was still pretty exhausted. Luckily, it meant more time for us to hang out which I always enjoy. Only 4 more days of work for him and he's off for a much-anticipated 3-day weekend.

As for me, I'm just going to try to avoid the bat tree as much as possible over the next 4 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment